Our client’s home is one of twelve houses built in 1865 by Baroness Angela Burdett-Coutts on part of her estate as a small housing development. Holly Village was designed by Henry Darbishire, conceived as an enclave of ‘cottage ornées’ in the Gothic revival style. Each house has distinct features, including variations of ornate wooden turrets and stone bosses. Italian craftsmen were hired for the wood carving. The entrance gate features a gabled archway with two stone statues, thought to be modelled on Burdett-Coutts and her companion, one holding a lamb and the other a dove.
Holly Village is Grade II* listed, and the works to our client’s home have required a number of listed building consent applications for a new porch, external repairs, internal floor insulation and adaptation of the roof space to provide accessible storage space. Alterations to the interior are guided by the aim to remove extraneous details that had been added overtime- surface mounted services, picture rails, etc- to regain the simplicity of the original design.
The external works have been carried out by specialist contractors Fullers Builders and C&D Restoration, including repair of stone and brickwork, removal of heavy carbon deposits, lime pointing, repair of the teak eaves and finials, replacement of downpipes to match the original cast iron and specially-made ridge tiles to match the original pattern.
1st phase completed 2022