This listed house is one of 14 semi-detached villas, built in 1832 as part of the Lloyd Baker Estate. The project maximises useable space at roof level whilst minimising harm to the listed building, relocating the bathroom from the existing roof space to first floor level to enable an additional bedroom and a study to be created within a new roof extension. Clad in zinc with a slate-roof, the extension lies concealed behind the building’s imposing pediment, with minimal impact on the street scene and conservation area. Rooflights provide good levels of daylight and ventilation through the house, and comfort is improved by upgraded insulation which reduces heat loss from the building overall.
At upper ground level, an opening was sensitively formed between the kitchen and living room, to enable better use of the main family spaces. The original floorboards were carefully lifted and restored, and insulation and airtight membranes added to reduce noise and air transfer from the lower ground floor flat.